Receive 20 Credit Hours and learn the foundations of counseling, counseling skills, and interventions most used in addictions counseling with this CASAC and CASAC renewal self-study training.
Foundational Counseling Skills of Individual and Group Counseling
– Course work that provides knowledge of • Recognizing, identifying, interpreting, assessing, and understanding verbal and non-verbal behaviors;
• Enhancing client engagement, also known as building rapport, through empathy, active listening, authenticity, appropriate self-disclosure, development of unconditional positive regard, and consideration of the stages of change;
• Stages of change;
o The various manifestations of the client
ambivalence related to readiness to
change and stage of evolution;
o Determining relevant therapeutic
approaches appropriate to stages of
change/recovery and specific client
• Counseling approaches;
o Counselor communication skills such
as developing the therapeutic alliance;
o Effective use of open and closed
ended questions and other interview
o Responding appropriately to
ambivalence, defensive mechanisms,
o Feedback procedure (e.g., reflection,
reframing, interpretation, clarification)
use, method; eliciting feedback to assure
understanding of the information given;
o Accommodating diverse
communication styles and systems (e.g.
providing both oral and written
instructions, tailoring vocabulary to the
client's level of understanding, utilizing
different techniques based on the client's
learning style, etc.);
• Use of positive reinforcement (e.g., identifying client strengths, instilling hope, identifying client potential)and affirming behaviors;
• Demonstrating and maintaining a non-judgmental attitude;
o Conveying respect for personal
differences and individual needs;
• Learning styles and teaching methods;
o Adapting education style to the specific
needs of the client;
o Presenting technical information in a
manner appropriate to the client;
o Explaining difficult or contradicting
concepts to clients in language that helps
them understand differences in
approaches to recovery;
o Evaluating the reception of the
• Educating, communicating, and protecting client rights through the application of;
o Advocacy techniques for client-specific
o Grievance processes.
• The termination process: techniques and procedures for individual and group counseling.
Self-study, self-paced addiction counselor training includes videos, SlideShare documents, PdFs, Case Studies, short quizzes to test your knowledge, etc.
You can always access a certified professional trainer by eMail, phone, or virtual meeting.
Our online training courses provide you with high-quality, affordable education and training in the comfort of your home, favorite cafe, or anywhere you choose to study.
Once you purchase your training, you'll receive an email with your access code, login, and begin. Your courses are available 24/7, and all educational materials are provided with your purchase—no hidden fees.
Once you finish the complete training and the final assessment, you'll receive your certificate of completion.